- Clean your clams by soaking them in a bucket of seawater overnight, this will make them spit out any sand or grit that might be inside.
- When you’re ready to eat, dice the sausage and warm it in a large sauce pan with a tight fitting lid, the bright red oil will begin to run from the sausage.
- When the pan is hot and the sausage begins to sizzle and fry, add the clams, quickly followed by the white wine.
- Quickly close the lid of pan, trapping in all the steam and cook the clams like this for three or four minutes.
- Give the pan a good shake and check to see if all of the clams have opened.
- When they have, throw the peas and soft herbs into the pan and cook for a further thirty seconds; just long enough for the peas to warm through.
* This recipe would work just as well with pipis, tuatuas or mussels.